Re: draft-hansen-2717bis-2718bis-uri-guidelines-03.txt

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:12:38 -0500, John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org> wrote:

> Charles Lindsey scripsit:
>
>> Or is it the intention that historic entries should be 'invisible'. I.e.
>> that the existence of a historic foobar scheme does not prevent the
>> simultaneous registration (even permanent) of a (possibly very
>> different)
>> foobar scheme.
>
> I certainly hope not.  The gopher scheme may be little used today, but
> that doesn't mean that some future scheme should be so called.  There
> is a sufficiency of [a-z]+ strings.

Indeed, gopher was a scheme that was in regular use at one time, and may
still be used in a few places.

But what does one do in the case of a 'foobar' scheme that was Never used
anywhere and was only ever registered for 'land grabbing' purposes? Now
comes the time when you want to institute a genuine 'foobar' scheme, and
let us suppose there are excellent reasons why 'foobar' is the proper name
for it. So you need either to be able to deregister the old (bogus)
foobar, or else to demote it to some status which does not preclude the
new one going ahead. IOW, there needs to be some mechanism for rectifying
past "mistakes".

The new draft does not address this issue. It should.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.