Re: Addressing the name speculation problem

From: Daniel R. Tobias <dan@tobias.name>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:46:44 +0900
To: uri@w3.org

On 15 Feb 2005 at 9:28, Michael Mealling wrote:

 > There hasn't been any significant evidence that land grabs occur
 > in any other existing namespace. I would prefer a solution where we
 > defer implementation of a solution to a mythical speculation problem
 > when there is some evidence that one might actually exist.

One could argue, though, that one of the reasons there are so many
problems, conflicts, and lapses of logic in the domain name system is
that nobody acted on concerns about these issues while they were
still theoretical, and hence more manageable and without entrenched
opposition; by the time people seriously realized there were
problems, it was too late to do anything about them.

Some history:
http://domains.dan.info/structure/intro.html

--
Dan