RE: Duplication of provisional URI namespace tokens in 2717/8-bis

Michael's argument reinforces a previous proposal of mine to add an
additional category (vernacular).  In this way poorly documented or
inadvertant duplicates may be recognized and kept distinct from the
provisional or permanent registrations.

A second means of achieving this is to identify existing known
duplicates and assure that no future duplicates be registered or
acknowledged as legitimate, and this is the objective of my proposed
wording changes to the existing draft:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2005Feb/0009.html.  While
wild-type schemes might still emerge, their significance and legitimacy
(and hence impact) are unlikely to be widespread.

Either of these approcaches is preferable to that reflected in the
existing draft, which makes no distinction in a registry between poorly
planned or malicious duplications and legitimate attempts to enrich the
functionality of the URI space.

Larry Masinter raises a legitimate concern about land-grab speculation
of URI scheme names.  This concern deserves attention, but must be
divorced from the functional requirement of unique scheme tokens in the
URI space.

stu