Re: Off/On topic - Brick VS Head. URI(URL/File) eg of previous posts...

Hello Al,
thankyou for your time and efforts in supply of resolve with a reply to
my request and plea's for help.

The two URI examples you provided worked a lot better then my examples
had been performing.  I had assumed that I should adopt the Win NetBios
domain path when using File:// and there in started my dramas in u
nderstanding this whole thing and the results I was getting (which I had
done for a few years).

Windows then altered the URI in the address bar to suit a known path if
it found one by displaying a 'page can not be displayed' message – where
I could then press Go and see the rendered data while some older browsers
just showed errors of all descriptions; with Mozilla showing a
non-existant empty path from time to time as you also kind of described.
I have noted that the localhost is dropped by Iexplorer upon rendering as
you suggested with "" as the host. (another part of the voodoo I kept
encountering).

Many thanks again for your kind assistance in resolve of my major issue
for an understanding about File://.
My kindest regards and many thanks again for your prompt kind reply,
Jason

:)

>In relation to the URL of File and its difference to that of Win9x
>32 - aka URI of file.
>
>I have noticed several things for a while which seem to work
>opposite of clearly defined standards and I was wondering why this
>practice is continued without any note - Ie: a reference to what
>does where, how it does it?!?, or even the result of a URI on
>various systems, etc.. (as part of relative-URI as I understood it;
>which may of been 'incorrect')
>
>To explain just one very small example, and as perhaps my other
>posts can not be understood :( from my lack of understanding these
>ideals fully.
>
>Step A, created a folder on <../../../../../>C:\ named FOLDER.IE5
>Step B, created a file named 'FILE' in the folder above without an
extension

>Test 1, <file:///C/FOLDER.IE5/FILE>file://C/FOLDER.IE5/DATA results
>in a File Not Found which I think is wrong.
>Test 2, C:\FOLDER.IE5\DATA results in FILE being found, *.

Your 'Test 1' is not the orthodox transcription of your 'Test 2.'

If Test 2 succeeds, then Test 1 SHOULD fail for two defects.

1) the path segment for the drive letter should be /C:/ not /C/.
Your file: URI is looking for
a non-existent branch in the path tree.

2) you need a host.  Even if you want to minimize typing, you may use
a zero-length ""
host field as short for 'localhost' the pseudo-host that means
"here."  But you have to
at least delimit the null 'host' string with yet another '/' character.

Fixing those two transliteration bugs, you come up with

Test 1a, file://localhost/C:/FOLDER.IE5/DATA
Test 1b, file:///C:/FOLDER.IE5/DATA

What happens if you try those?

Al