Re: An Internet-Draft on literal scoped addresses with accompanying zone IDs in URIs

Bill,

>   Some think that this problem space is so small it's not worth it; I think
>it's at least worth throwing out a strawman and seeing what happens to it,
>especially since this proposal includes a modification to the grammar for
>zone IDs in draft-ietf-ipv6-scoping-arch; better to do that before it gets
>published as an RFC if we're going to.

I agree that doing this is worthwhile even for the few cases where it will
be used.

A few comments on the tradeoffs.

>2.1  Tradeoffs
>
>    o  Use _ or Z or some other character as separator.
>       Pro:
>          +  Fits current ABNF.
>          +  Doesn't require confusing percent-encoding.
>       Con:
>          +  Have to remember different separator.
>          +  Can't copy and paste from other forms.  (But that is the
>             case also for percent-encoding, which usually doesn't happen
>             automatically.)

I think loosing the ability to cut and paste these addresses is a
problem.  The % is in widespread usage today.  For example from the machine
I am typing on:

   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : americas.nokia.com
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0D-60-2F-8D-F5
   Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
   IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20d:60ff:fe2f:8df5%4
                                       172.18.241.9
                                       131.228.6.22
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1
                                       fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1
   Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 10.241.36.9
   Secondary WINS Server . . . . . . : 10.241.36.8
   Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : November 19, 2004 08:41:58 AM
   Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : November 22, 2004 08:41:58 AM

It would be much better if these addresses could be cut/paste without
having to also convert the % to something else.

>       Issues:
>          +  Zone ID is currently loosely specified in scoping-arch; in
>             order to fit this grammar it needs to be tighter.
>          +  Should "_" (or whatever delimiter) be allowed in the zone
>             ID? ("No" complicates the ABNF)
>          +  Can a scoping-arch revision change the character in use? It
>             could suggest that "_" can be used as an alternative to "%".

As above, the "%" is current usage.

>    o  Use %25 as an encoded %, the scoping-arch separator.
>       Pro:
>          +  "%" is the same character.
>       Con:
>          +  "%25" is confusing.
>          +  Can't copy and paste from other forms where the % is not
>             encoded.  (But that is the case also when using a different
>             character for the separator.)
>          +  IPvFuture ABNF doesn't permit percent-encoded characters.

Agree this is very ugly and IMHO worse than "-".

My dump question (that exposes my lack of knowledge about URIs/etc.) is
since the literal IPv6 address are enclosed in "[" "]" to allow for the ":"
in the literal IPv6 address, why can't the "%" be used in the same
way?  For example:

   http://[fe80::20d:60ff:fe2f:8df5%4]

Please excuse my ignorance on this, but it would be good to explain this
(and include this information in the draft).

Thanks,
Bob