Re: userinfo allowed in http URI or not?

Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:

> > Applications should not render as clear text any data after the
> > first colon (":") character found within a userinfo sub-component
> > unless such data is the empty string (indicating no password) or
> > "anonymous".
>
> I know what you mean but it seems to imply that the password could be
> "anonymous" and then be shown.

I think that's exactly what it means--if the password is "anonymous"
or "" then it may be shown.  I don't know the rationale for this
recommendation, but the intended meaning seems clear to me.  If it
appears ambiguous to some, maybe it should be rephrased to leave no room
for doubt:

    Applications should not render as clear text any data after the
    first colon (":") character found within a userinfo sub-component
    unless the data after the colon is the string "anonymous" or the
    empty string (indicating no password).

AMC
http://www.nicemice.net/amc/