Re: userinfo allowed in http URI or not?

From: by way of Martin Duerst <maillists@conactive.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 11:34:03 -0500
To: uri@w3.org

 > http://gbiv.com/protocols/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html

Thanks for changing the http example to ftp in section 7.6.

There's a small typo:

ftp://ftp.example.com

should possibly be:

ftp://trusted.example.com

Hope this doesn't sound like nitpicking but in section 3.2.1 this sentence
is a bit
ambiguous if you want to read it this way:

 > Use of the format "user:password" in the userinfo field is deprecated.
 > Applications should not render as clear text any data after the first colon
 > (":") character found within a userinfo sub-component unless such data is
 > the empty string (indicating no password) or "anonymous".

I know what you mean but it seems to imply that the password could be
"anonymous"
and then be shown. But it's the userinfo which is "anonymous" not the
password. Maybe
rephrasing it to

 > or the userinfo is "anonymous".

makes it more clear?