Http and RFC-2396

In which way does it violate RFC-2396? Could you point to the relevant
text? I would agree that it was not the intent to allow it as you would
expect the http scheme to use the 'server' notation, not the 'reg_name'.
But 'authority' contains both 'server' and 'reg_name'. I was trying to
find some prose in RFC-2396 that would restrict the http scheme, but
couldn't find it.

On the same thread, is there somewhere a formal up-to-date definition in
ABNF for current URI schemes, such as http, mailto, ftp, etc...?

Otherwise Adam's mail was very useful for my understanding of the
issues.

Michel Suignard