defaults and equivalence, same-document references

From: Mike Brown <mike@skew.org>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:20:21 -0700 (MST)
To: uri@w3.org

Thanks for clarifying the ALPHA / DIGIT issue, and for cleaning up the ":"
issue. And yes, I meant sub-delims. I have another issue now.

Section 4.4 says that same-document references are determined only by URI
identity (not equivalence).

Therefore, I would assume that none of these examples are same-document
references, even though I, personally, think that retrieval of a new
representation in order to satisfy the reference would be undesirable in every
case:

Base URI                       URI reference
===========================    ========================
file:///x                      file://localhost/x#y
http:///x                      http://localhost/x#y
http://www.example.com:80/x    http://www.example.com/x#y
http://www.example.com/x       http://www.EXAMPLE.com/x#y

I would like to see defaults, whether they be defined by schemes (e.g. http's
"80" for port and file's "localhost" for host) or by the URI spec (e.g. the
recent addition of "localhost" for host for all hierarchical-path schemes), be
mentioned in section 6, because they're almost certainly going to affect
comparisons for equivalence.

I would also like confirmation as to whether the intent of section 4.4 is to
define identical string comparison as the only way to determine whether a
reference is same-document, ruling out the possibility of equivalence being a
factor.

Thanks,
Mike