Re: I-D ACTION:draft-hoffman-ftp-uri-03.txt

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 01:42:52 +0100
To: uri@w3.org

P. Hoffman wrote draft-hoffman-ftp-uri-03.txt :

| ALUN'S CONCERN
|
| email addresses can be harvested

That's true, but I'd prefer a complete sentence, how about:

  The e-mail address conventionally sent as password for
  anonymous access (2.1) could be harvested, user agents
  should not sielently use addresses configured for other
  purposes.

| <cwd1> through <cwdN> and <name> are (possibly encoded)
| strings

Is that really all you want to say about percent-encoding ?
It took me some hours to find the problem with %FF for an
ordinary command line client, it's hidden in RfC 1123 3.2.6:

| a Telnet escape character (known as IAC, with the value
| 255) to be sent as data MUST be doubled.

Who's supposed to know this, the publisher of the ftp-URI,
or the user agent ?  Certainly not the user.  Bye, Frank