Re: Fwd: draft-hoffman-news-nntp-uri-00.txt

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 14:11:14 -0400, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
wrote:

> Charles, can you come up with proposed RFC text and/or some test
> instances
> of hyperlinks with news: and nntp: URIs as href values?

I have now proposed some syntax. When we are agreed on that, then some
semantics could follow.

> I tried to ask on the WAI-IG list "do we particularly need to keep this
> up?"
> and got some firm affirmatives.  Of course it is not clear whether
> people thought I meant News as a service or 'news' URIs as a link
> notation.

I think it is clear that news URLs are in fairly regular use, mainly in
the form that quotes a single <message-id>. For an example of one using a
<newsgroup-name>, see http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.local.cheshire.html (and
lots of similar pages on that site).

I have never actually seen an nntp URL in the wild, but I just tried it in
my Opera browser, and it sort of worked (including a <range> with two
<article-numbers> in it). But I doubt such URLs would be of much use on
Usenet, though they might make sense in small private networks.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl@clerew.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.