Re: uri, urn and info

From: Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress <rden@loc.gov>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:43:57 -0400
To: <uri@w3.org>

From: "Patrick Stickler" <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
>     Yes, there is no restriction on how many URIs might denote
>     the same thing (I've pointed that out myself in this very
>     thread) but there is much to be gained from an economy of
>     identifiers.

Once upon a time there was a notion of multiple URLs (different schemes)
providing access to a given resource, because there are multiple ways to
access the resource. There might even be an 'ftp' URL for a bibliographic
record corresponding to an lccn, along with an http URL.  Now are these
locators or identifiers? I don't care.  The info URI for that lccn would (a)
not be a locator, and (b) be the cannonical identifier. (Whether its
"info:lccn......" or "urn:info:lccn ......")

--Ray