Re: Announcement: The "info" URI Scheme

From: Tim Kindberg <timothy@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:33:44 -0700
To: Eric Hellman <eric@openly.com>, Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Cc: "Hammond, Tony (ELSLON)" <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>, Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, uri@w3.org

At 11:19 PM 10/1/2003 -0400, Eric Hellman wrote:

>the question to ask is whether "tag:" is *enough* .
>
>A useful approximation is
>info ~= tag + namespace registry

I equally assert that there are "definitely" many applications/domains (not
to mention minting principals, i.e. users) for which extra registration is
not needed.

In tag we specifically eschew extra namespace registration, because we want
a low barrier to entry for identifier-minting.  Jo User already registered
when she got herself an email address or domain name and she shouldn't have
to go through more of that to identify her stuff.

It's not clear that anyone other than big players -- who can afford
heavyweight legal defence -- would benefit from "more" registration.
Moreover, it's likely that e.g. HP would be able to defend tag:hp.com,2003:
legally just as well as they could hp.com.  So what would they need extra
registration for?

Tim

Tim Kindberg
hewlett-packard laboratories