Re: Announcement: The "info" URI Scheme

From: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 16:22:42 -0400
To: "Hammond, Tony (ELSLON)" <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>
Cc: "'Eric Hellman'" <eric@openly.com>, Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>, uri@w3.org

> To sum up, with regard to the info scheme, less is more.

Thanks, you've just argued wonderfully why the tag: URI scheme [1] is
so desirable.  With info:, there's still a sort of central authority;
you're still trusting the info-registry in some sense, even if it's
not as great as trusting a domain name owner + the dns.  With tags,
you don't have to trust anyone.  Much better.

I happen to think distrusting owner+dns is unwarranted FUD.  doi.org
is every bit as secure as doi:, etc.  And dereference is very useful.
So I haven't been working very hard on evangelizing tags and getting
it done as an RFC.  I'm still willing to be a co-author because I
think it may be useful to some people, especially folks who would
otherwise end up stuck in DOI or INFO land.

So if you are into DOI/INFO for the money, ego, or control, go right
ahead with it.  (I guess I'll also grant that info: saves you a few
characters in your URIs.  Tags were a bit shorter until one of our
changes solely intended to appease the IESG.)  If you just want to
separate yourself from the tyrrany of dereference, why don't you help
tag: along instead?

    -- sandro

[1] http://www.taguri.org/