Re: Syntax Issues/Experience with RFC2396bis and abnf2re

On Wednesday, May 7, 2003, at 04:10  PM, Rob Cameron wrote:
> One other issue that I ran across in URI processing is that the
> grammar allows an absolute-URI to have an empty path
> (empty hier-part), meaning that http: and http:?x are
> acceptable absolute-URIs.
> absolute-URI  = scheme ":" ( hier-part / opaque-part )
> hier-part     = [ net-path / abs-path ] [ "?" query ]
>
> Possibly these forms could be useful as some form of
> relative URI, but I don't see them as absolute URIs.   Even as
> relative URIs, they seem dubious.

The rationale for that is noted in the list of changes
at the bottom of the spec.

    The ABNF of hier-part and relative-URI (Section 3) has been corrected
    to allow a relative URI path to be empty.  This also allows an
    absolute-URI to consist of nothing after the "scheme:", as is present
    in practice with the "DAV:" namespace [RFC2518] and the "about:" URI
    used by many browser implementations.

....Roy