Re: Comments on section 2 of RFC2396bis

From: Stefan Eissing <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:26:41 +0100
Cc: Chris Haynes <chris@harvington.org.uk>, uri@w3.org
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>

Am Sonntag, 09.03.03, um 00:23 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Tim Bray:

> Chris Haynes wrote:
>>  "Tim Bray" proposed:
>>> - ASCII characters which may legally appear in the component MUST
>>> appear directly as themselves, i.e. 'a' may not be encoded as %61.
>> My understanding is that the decision on whether or not an ASCII
>> character 'may legally appear' (at any particular position in the URI)
>> is not at all well defined and is scheme-specific.
>
> Scheme-specific I believe.  "Not well defined" seems like a symptom of
> a broken scheme.

There is the problem, I mentioned, with ":" in path components. ":" is
not
reserved in path-segment, but is reserved in the rel-segment. So,
de-/resolver
need to take special care about escaped ":" octets/characters?

So with base "http://example.org/x/y" URI ref "z%25test"
would need to be resolved to "http://example.org/x/z:test"?

//Stefan