Re: Proposal: new top level domain '.urn' alleviates all need for urn: URIs

On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 15:05, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> > At 2:35 PM -0400 7/9/03, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> > >  > > I'm using the word "same" in the normal dictionary sense of being

> > >I can put aside the OWL terminology entirely.
> > >
> > >You seem to be saying that
> > >     http://www.w3.org/
> > >and
> > >     http://WWW.w3.org/
> > >could not possibly ever both identify the same resource.  You seem to
> > >be saying that if two URIs are textually different, they cannot
> > >possibly identify the same thing.
> >
> > I don't think that's quite what he said.  He said that the knowledge that two
> > identifiers were equivalent was outside the generic URI syntax, and based
> > in the semantics of the scheme or the application using the scheme.
>
> I wish he had said that, but he didn't.  I'm giving him every chance
> to say that, but he's not taking it.

I guess that is another way of saying the same thing. It like Graham
said: 2396 doesn't make any statements about equality other than the
identity property of a syntactically normalized URI being equal to
itself. Any other concepts of equivalence are outside the generic URI
syntax and thus based on the semantics of a particular scheme or
application making use of them.....

Is there a difference between those two ways of saying the same thing?

-MM