RE: Proposal: new top level domain '.urn' alleviates all need for urn: URIs

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:26:52 -0700
To: "'Sandro Hawke'" <sandro@w3.org>, "'Michael Mealling'" <michael@neonym.net>
Cc: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <hardie@qualcomm.com>, <uri@w3.org>

I'm a little behind on email, but it seems like people
are still rounding the same circles.

I suggest that no one should be allowed to post on the
subject of whether two different URIs denote the same
resource until they can give a cogent explanation of
whether the phrase 'the morning star' does or doesn't
denote the same resource as 'the evening star'.

Personally, I prefer the point of views that URIs by
themselves do not 'denote'. They have enough work to do
as identifiers, and can't lift the weight of denotation.

People (and machines, I suppose) might 'denote'
something when they utter a URI in a language in
a given context, but the act of denotation is in
the utterance and not in the URI itself.

With this formulation, whether 'the morning star'
denotes the same resource as 'the evening star'
depends on the person(s) who utter the two phrases.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net