Re: Proposal: new top level domain '.urn' alleviates all need for urn: URIs

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 09:58:29 -0700
To: Michael Mealling <michael@neonym.net>
Cc: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com, hardie@qualcomm.com, uri@w3.org

Michael Mealling wrote:

> I don't know. You're using a definition of equality drawn from OWL and
> not from RFC 2396. I don't use OWL and thus never intended for its
> definition of 'equality' to be used in any comments I made. When I talk
> about URIs _universally_ I make it a point to use only terms that are
> universal for all possible applications, past, present and future. That
> means the only definition of equality that's available to me is the one
> found in RFC 2396.

Note that the RFC2396bis redraft-in-progress has, in its section 6, a
rather more nuanced and thorough discussion of the notion of
"equivalence" of URIs and resources.  (Disclosure: I wrote the first
draft of the section).

http://www.apache.org/~fielding/uri/rev-2002/rfc2396bis.html

--
Cheers, Tim Bray