Re: Possible new issue: Things with and without identity?

From: Miles Sabin <miles@milessabin.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:49:57 +0100
To: uri@w3.org

Al Gilman wrote,
> URIs operate within a set of communicative gestures we term
> 'reference' and not all of them deal in the identity properties of
> things, or in persistently entified 'things' at all.

Some examples would be nice.

I take your point about stuffs, but only as metaphysics. In practical
terms reference always goes hand in hand with individuation. Stuffs are
referred to and manipulated in countable portions: eg. I can't buy
unquantified oil-stuff, but I can buy 50 gallons of oil.

In any case for all practical purposes, stuffs can be traded off against
properties ... which are at least reasonably well understood. That's
not an argument that stuff is an empty concept, but it's evidence that
we can do perfectly well without it.

Cheers,

Miles