URI for launching an instant message?

From: by way of Martin Duerst <sirdan69@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:41:53 +0900
To: uri@w3.org
I hope this is the right place to put this kind of question. Has there been
any proposals to launch an instant message client from a URL? What I'd
like, is similar to how mailto works. I'd like to have an "instanmessageto"
that would
launch the local instant messaging client to initiate a conversation with a
user.
I can see one problem with this is the lack of standards around instant
messaging.

dan