RE: new OASIS TC for URIs and URNs

I'm having trouble figuring out what the OASIS technical
committee is actually planning on doing, besides
There are already a number of URI and URN schemes that
might already be useful for the requirements stated.

There's no magic way in which identifiers themselves
can provide long-term identity services. And if you
want to offer a long term service, then there's not
much advantage in using a new scheme over using some
existing scheme, whether it be "http" (as with
http://purl.org) or "cid" or "tag" or "tdb", is
there?

As for what "you all are addressing", the URI mailing
list is open to discuss evolution of the IETF URI
specification and other related issues. The main work
at this time is the focus on the update of RFC 2396.

There's also ongoing work on internationalization,
but the suggested mailing list for that document
is (currently) www-international@w3.org.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net