RE: Resolving references against base URIs

At 01:15 PM 2002-04-15 , Brian McBride wrote:
>What I have tried to do here is to position RDF as an application built on
>top of XML and to suggest that XML should not be allowed to express
>constraints on how applications process it.
>
>There is a deal of sophistry in this argument :( but RFC 2396 doesn't
>really meet our needs.  Are there any plans to update/refine it in the near
>future?

Yes, this is a matter on which it would be good to get the TAG to take a position.  But rushing in where angels fear to tread:

The sophistry is too much.

It's not a matter of XML at all.  It's a matter of the semantics of references by URI.  Which is core Web architecture in any document type.

Browsers process same-document references in a special way as directed by RFC-2396.

What you are proposing RDF processors do is to process same-document references in a special way in contradiction to the dictates of RFC-2396.

The RDF model by requiring all URI-references to be absolute makes a same-document reference in accordance with the semantics set forth in RFC-2396 illegal in an RDF document.  Stick to that.

RFC-2396 does provide what you need, just not in a newbie friendly syntax.  You can force BASE-ifying of referenced items simply by not using fragment-only syntax in the reference.

For consideration in future revisions:

Just as Larry has suggested that in MIME transport we need a reserved floating pseudo-prefix of "this document" which I would compare with the classical academic 'ibid.,'  what you are finding would be newbie-friendly in RDF would be a reserved floating pseudo-prefix of "per base in context" or 'loc. cit.'

Al