Re: URIs which identify multiple resources?

On Thursday, April 4, 2002, at 01:19  PM, Michael Mealling wrote:

> If it identified just the actual mailbox then you shouldn't be able to
> specify things like a Subject since mailboxes don't have Subjects.
> Maybe the word 'action' is wrong. Hmm... the 'message' itself?
> I dunno how to say it exactly. But 'mailbox' isn't right either....

mailto allows you to specify a subject, body, etc. in the query
component, which is defined by 2396 as: "...a string of information to
be interpreted by the resource." Considering other uses of queries, this
seems to fit in nicely.

http://www.example.com/foo?bar=baz can identify the resource foo with
the argument bar=baz, and it also affects the message sent when
dereferencing the URI. mailto:bob@example.net?Subject=Make+Money+Now can
cause a message with that subject to be sent when dereferenced, but it
can also be used to locate a message in the mailbox.

sms uses a parameter to specify a body, which seems broken. This is one
of the things I'll be commenting about.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/