Re: URIs which identify multiple resources?

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 01:13:07PM -0800, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> On Thursday, April 4, 2002, at 12:49  PM, Michael Mealling wrote:
> >
> >The first paragraph of the Introduction in RFC2368 not withstanding, I
> >think both documents identify an action ("send mail this way", or "send
> >an sms this way") instead of actual mailboxes or end points.  I would
> >prefer documents to be precise about what they actually identify but
> >as long as they do so and people use the identifier in a way consistent
> >with that statement then I think its ok....
>
> I'm a bit surprised by this; I had though that it was agreed that mailto
> specifically does not specify an action, but only identifies a mailbox;
> it's up to the consumer of the URI to determine what to do with it when
> it's dereferenced.

If it identified just the actual mailbox then you shouldn't be able to
specify things like a Subject since mailboxes don't have Subjects.
Maybe the word 'action' is wrong. Hmm... the 'message' itself?
I dunno how to say it exactly. But 'mailbox' isn't right either....

> >In other words, the SMS document has it right: the URI here identifies
> >and "SMS message" not the end point for an SMS message. An end point is
> >needed as part of an "SMS message" in order to be meaninful but it isn't
> >the end point that's being identified.
>
> Where does it say this? The abstract says
>
>    This memo specifies a URI (Universal Resource Identifier) scheme
>    "sms" for specifying a recipient (and optionally a gateway) for an
>    SMS message.
>
> I'd think that identifying messages is best left to mechanisms like
> mid's.

If its only a recipient then how can it contain the body of the message
that's going to be sent to the recipient(s)?

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael@neonym.net      |                              | http://www.neonym.net