Re: Excess URI schemes considered harmful

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:14:37 +0100
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, "Graham Klyne" <GK@ninebynine.org>
Cc: <uri@w3.org>
> I tend to think that effective use of urns might, in the
> longer term, help to limit the profusion of URI schemes.

So then we'll just have a profusion of URN namespace IDs! It would be quite
easy to delegate URI schemes in the same way that URN namespaces are
delegated: perhaps even with an informal URI scheme tree, "uri-1:",
"uri-2:" etc.

Because I've come up with a handful of URI schemes and URN namespaces,
earlier this moneth I came up with an article about why new URI schemes
aren't usually all that great:-

   http://infomesh.net/2001/09/urischemes/

It's not finished, and it's not all that good, but it seems pertinent to
this thread.

Cheers,

--
Kindest Regards,