RE: Excess URI schemes considered harmful

At 05:03 PM 2001-09-25 , Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:
>Don,
>it would be quite useful if your draft would explain better WHY you need a
>mapping between these two quite dissimilar name spaces.
>
>I have trouble imagining the case where you would want to use it.

AG::

Let me give you one example.

In the XML Accessibility Guidelines, we ask novel dialects not only to derive
their structure and properties as specializations of widely used forebears,
but
also to give analogies where possible to the most-similar well-known media
types and/or their properties.

<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlgl#g4_0>http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlgl#g4_0

How can approximate analogies be useful?

Some assistive technologies, such as screen readers, take a document designed
for one interface and reconstruct another, derived interface for the user to
interact with.  This is not done without a certain amount of heuristic
decision
making, because the document designer usually didn't design for the
super-ultimate translation that the screen reader lays on the content.

In a processing context such as that, rough similes could be of benefit in
selecting what heuristics to apply.  Knowing that an application is something
like application/ms-excel could give a leg up on the problem.

And the dominant population of well-known document kinds to draw analogies to
would probably be the Internet Media Type family.  So having URI spellings
with
which to refer to them in similarity assertions enriching a schema could be
handy.

Al