Re: toward domain names in the public interest

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:32:58 -0500
Cc: uri@w3.org
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
On Tuesday, September 25, 2001, at 05:58  PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> An issue that is often raised in response is: what
> if w3.org goes poof?

I've always thought it'd be a good idea for some long-standing
organization (MIT? Library of Congress?) to accept domain
endowments. i.e. I pay a large sum of money and they continue to
lease my domain name year after year.

> If you can get 1000 signatories (and no credible
> complaint is lodged with WIPO over a 6 month period,
> say), you can get ICANN to permanently reserve your domain name
> for your use. You have to get another 1000 signatories
> every 5 years to keep it. If you ever fail to get enough
> signatories to keep it, it is permanently retired.

Hmm, what do you mean by retired? It gets taken out of DNS
circulation? Why the 5-year policy?

> There are all sorts of details... who is "you" after
> all? I think we could ground the authentication
> in surface-mail-callback, ala ISOC voting.

Well, ICANN has already authenticated me (and thousands of
others) via email and surface mail for their ICANN@Large voting
system. I assume the same codes could be reused.

Hmm, now where did I put my ICANN PIN...