specific use of URNs?

From: <Jeff.Hodges@kingsmountain.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:10:38 -0700
To: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
cc: uri@w3.org
mnot@mnot.net said in the minutes of the FURI BOF [1]:
> Mark Nottingham:  At the time URNs were looked at in squid,
> registration had not been approved. There are documents that need to be
> read before saying URNs don't work. They work for me, I'm releasing a
> product in mid May.

Mark -- w.r.t. the above quote -- can you (now) describe how "the product"
uses URNs? Is it using ad-hoc, informal, or formal URN Namespace
Identifier(s)? How is it making use of and leveraging URNs? What is it about
the resources/artifacts being identified via the URNs that makes URNs more
applicable than say using a URL-style URI (i.e. an existing URI "scheme"), or
inventing a new URI scheme (having different semantics than URNs')?

thanks,

JeffH

[1] Future of Uniform Resource Identifiers BOF (furi)
[50th IETF, Minneapolis MN, Mar-2001]
http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01mar/ietf50-39.htm#TopOfPage