Re: Proposal: 'tag' URIs

At 05:27 PM 4/27/2001 +0100, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
>In particular, tag could register urn:tag: (or whatever) and decree
>that that space is to be used for what is currently known as "tag:"
>URIs. In development, one could use "urn:x-tag:". As Michael points
>out, there is no specific problem with using URNs for this particular
>application - they are unique, non-reassignable, and they need not
>resolve to any particular entity. I just don't see why one should use
>up an entire URI scheme on this when the particular semantics are
>already covered by an exisiting URI scheme.

I guess I'm either missing the point or not effectively making my point
about the resolution assumptions behind URNs -- location-independent vs
contextual -- but in my mind that still eliminates URNs, despite the
advantages that using the URN namespace would have.

The literature on URNs is littered with 'location independent'. So what am
I missing, exactly?

Thanks,

Tim.

Tim Kindberg

internet & mobile systems lab  hewlett-packard laboratories
1501 page mill road, ms 1u-17
palo alto
ca 94304-1126
usa