Re: Proposal: 'tag' URIs

At 05:40 PM 4/27/2001 +0100, Sean B. Palmer wrote:
> > > If you didn't own it on /1, then you can't use it.
> >
> > The intention is that an entity can mint tags on a date d when
> > it was unassigned, if it became the assignee of the authority
> > name _immediately_  after the continuous period of [...]
>
>How would you qualify "_immediately_" in this case? What period of
>time? For example, there might be objections to this from a person who
>controlled a certain date space from 1 to 2-1-5 only to find that
>someone who registers the same domain name on 20-2 starts using 2-1-6
>as a namespace :-)

We'd need an authoritatively managed persistent database that recorded all
assignment and unassignment events, to a resolution of a day. Then
'immediately after' would be well-defined. I'm getting the point that we
don't have such a thing currently.

Thanks,

Tim.

Tim Kindberg

internet & mobile systems lab  hewlett-packard laboratories
1501 page mill road, ms 1u-17
palo alto
ca 94304-1126
usa