Re: iDNR, an alternative name resolution protocol

Roy T. Fielding (fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu)
Wed, 02 Sep 1998 14:52:22 -0700

To: "Sam X. Sun" <ssun@CNRI.Reston.VA.US>
cc: URI distribution list <uri@Bunyip.Com>
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 1998 14:52:22 -0700
From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject: Re: iDNR, an alternative name resolution protocol

>I might have misunderstood what URI syntax governs. So here is the question:
>
>Web browsers (e.g. Netscape or IE) have a edit box for user to enter their
>URLs. In Netscape, it's called "Location:". In IE, it's called "Address:".
>Now the question is: does the URL syntax governs how users should enter
>their URL into the edit box, including the encoding used?

Not unless the web browser forces it to be a URL, which none of them do.
That is just a text entry dialog that accepts anything from full URI
to partial domain names to free-text queries.

After the browser has figured out what the string represents and has
mapped it to something that resembles a URI, then the URI syntax governs
what the browser needs to do to that string in order to use it within
the various elements of Internet protocols that call for a URI.

....Roy