Re: The UR* scheme registry, Citing URL/URI specs

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:03:19 PDT

Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:03:19 PDT
From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
CC: Leslie Daigle <leslie@bunyip.com>, urn-ietf@bunyip.com, timbl@w3.org,
Subject: Re: The UR* scheme registry, Citing URL/URI specs

Dan,

The IETF is an open organization.

> Can I please have an IETF standards-track
> document that specifies
> the union of the URL and URN syntaxes?

Yes, absolutely, you can. Here's what you need to do to get it:

a) propose a specific set of edits you'd like to see in the
draft-fielding-url-syntax-09.txt document to make it cover URIs
and URNs (changing the title, if you like). Please address the
relationship with the existing URN RFCs, if you intent to
subsume them.

- OR -
b) Write an internet draft "URIs are URNs or URLs", and send it to
'internet-drafts@ietf.org'. There's a recent RFC on 'instructions for RFC
authors' which gives guidelines.

In either case, we can propose these for standards track, and
follow the simple IETF process for moving things along that way.

You need it, you got it!

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter