Re: URL-Reference / "empty URL" question

Daniel LaLiberte (liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Wed, 14 May 1997 13:02:45 -0500 (CDT)

From: Daniel LaLiberte <liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 13:02:45 -0500 (CDT)
To: uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: URL-Reference / "empty URL" question

 > On Wed, 14 May 1997, Larry Masinter wrote:
 >
 > >   "the copy of the content that is being viewed now"
 > >
 > > Let's give it its own URL scheme
 > >    "this:"
 > > where the scheme-specific part of "this:" is
 > > empty.

Doesnt the empty URL "" work just as well?  Experience shows that
if you have an anchor such as <A HREF="">this document</A> it goes
to the same document that it is contained in.

 > I'm not sure, but I seem to detect in some of the comments
 > in this thread a question as to why there could be a need
 > to move inside a document without every refetching it (from
 > the cache or wherever).

Moving within a document without refetching it is an orthogonal issue,
I think.  It is closely related to the browsing history issue.

dan