Re: URL-Reference / "empty URL" question

Martin J. Duerst (mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch)
Wed, 14 May 1997 19:17:51 +0200 (MET DST)

Date: Wed, 14 May 1997 19:17:51 +0200 (MET DST)
From: "Martin J. Duerst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
cc: Foteos Macrides <MACRIDES@sci.wfbr.edu>, kweide@tezcat.com, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: URL-Reference / "empty URL" question

On Wed, 14 May 1997, Larry Masinter wrote:

>   "the copy of the content that is being viewed now"
>
> Let's give it its own URL scheme
>    "this:"
> where the scheme-specific part of "this:" is
> empty.

Bright idea!

I'm not sure, but I seem to detect in some of the comments
in this thread a question as to why there could be a need
to move inside a document without every refetching it (from
the cache or wherever). But I think it goes without saying
that something like this is needed, and if it didn't
exist (currently as a special convention for URL references
of the form "#blarg"), somebody would come along and
invent it :-).

Regards,	Martin.