Re: URL internationalization!

Gregory J. Woodhouse (gjw@wnetc.com)
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:17:47 -0800 (PST)

Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 09:17:47 -0800 (PST)
From: "Gregory J. Woodhouse" <gjw@wnetc.com>
To: Dan Oscarsson <Dan.Oscarsson@trab.se>
Cc: fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU, yergeau@alis.com, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: URL internationalization!

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Dan Oscarsson wrote:

> I think this is where some of the confusion is. It is the possibility
> to localise an URL that many of us want. And many of us think that
> internationalisation means that. That is why we don't think
> ASCII = internationalisation, because it cannot be localised without
> some more requirements (like how to encode localised URLs in ascii).

That's why we need a two level scheme: a set of URIs which are not (insofar
is possible) tied to a particular language or character set and a directory
service which will allow internationalization of resource names. Think
about it this way:

i-nodes       filenames
IP addresses  domain names
URLs          ?????

---
gjw@wnetc.com    /    http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
If you're going to reinvent the wheel, at least try to come
up with a better one.