Re: LYNX-DEV Re: News: anywhere vs. NNTP: to-server, eh?

David Woolley (david@djwhome.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 19 Aug 1997 22:39:34 +0100 (BST)

From: David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Re: News: anywhere vs. NNTP: to-server, eh?
To: lynx-dev@sig.net
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 22:39:34 +0100 (BST)
Cc: asgilman@access.digex.net, uri@bunyip.com

> What is currently widely deployed is
>
> rather than 'nttp:'. So I suggest we just try to write up what people
> are using rather than continuing to push on "nntp:".

I think this is only people using Netscape browsers.  Microsoft Interenet
Explorer 3 doesn't understand this particular abuse, and nor do
any of caching proxies available from my office (not that I can find
a caching proxy that understands nntp: either, but at least the reject
it without getting confused).

(MSIE 3 tries to launch Microsoft News, which tries for the default
news server.)

Personally, I think any such interpretation of news:// should be enabled
by an option which defaults to disabled, to just make people aware that the
URL is broken.