Re: UTF-8 and URLs

Larry Masinter wrote:

> I think to actually solve the problem of Internationalization
> of URLs we need two recommendations:
>
> a) If you're writing software that displays URLs to users,
> b) If you're writing software that lets users type in URLs,
> c) If you're writing software that generates URLs to be

I like that characterization, and I believe it's a constructive
way to proceed.

> These three recommendations affect software from a large number
> of different producers. To make progress in the community,
> those software implementors will need to agree that this is
> the best solution to interoperability of URLs internationally.
>
> I think given its likely controversial nature, we should clearly
> make these recommendations in a separate RFC, and perhaps with
> a new working group.

Fair enough.

> I'm willing to put this all down in a separate internet draft,
> if it will help focus the process on actually making progress.

I would very much like to see that. I promise to review it
(turn around time: a week) if you do.

And I would like you to consider releasing it as a W3C NOTE or
working draft as well.

--
Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<connolly@w3.org> +1 512 310-2971