Re: Transcribing non-ascii URLs [was: revised "generic syntax" internet draft]

Dan Connolly writes:

> On the one hand, it makes a lot of sense that if a user creates
> a file and gives it a hebrew or arabic or CJK name, and then exports
> the file via an HTTP server, that the Address: field in a web
> browser should show the hebrew or arabic or ... characters faithfully.
>
> On the other hand, suppose that address is to be printed and put
> in an advertisement or a magazine article. Should it print the
> hebrew/arabic/CJK characters using those glyphs?
> Or should it print ASCII glyphs corresponding to the characters
> of the %xx encoding of the original characters?

To me there is no doubt: we need to just have the right characters
in there, not the %XX thing. URLs are now used routinely in
advertisement and in radio and TV. Imagine a radio speaker reading
aloud the %XX sequence. ... simply does not fly.

Also this is in accordance with the URL being abstract characters
and not representing any encoding.

Regards
Keld