Re: UTF-8 URL for testing

On Fri, 11 Apr 1997 16:29:57 -0700 (PDT) Larry Masinter
<masinter@parc.xerox.com> wrote:

> Just because a problem is important doesn't
> mean that we should recommend something that has not yet
> been demonstrated to actually solve the problem.

Dan and Francois,

While I'm very anxious to see a real solution that
addresses the underlying issues here, I'm forced to agree
with Larry.  We don't "make" things happen by standardize
untested ideas and arguments, however logical, that
things are easy to do don't move the discussion forward
much.  I don't think that timing of standards are much of
the issue here.  It is just that we have a large installed
base and I'd prefer to see a demonstration that it works
well, that it won't cause significant problems with
existing (unmodified) clients, servers, or users, etc.

And, as I have said many times before, while I recognize
and accept the enthusiasm for UTF-8, especially among users
of languages with Latin-based alphabetic systems, I would
prefer that, when we make protocol decisions that are
expected to have very long lifetimes, we use systems that
don't penalize non-Roman language groups as severely as
UTF-8 tends to do.

    john