Re: IMAP URLs

Chris Newman (Chris.Newman@innosoft.com)
Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:11:07 -0800 (PST)

Date: Tue, 26 Nov 1996 15:11:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@innosoft.com>
Subject: Re: IMAP URLs
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: URI list <uri@bunyip.com>, IMAP Discusson List <imap@cac.washington.edu>

On Tue, 26 Nov 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:
> The generic URL syntax allows "=" and ";" in the <user> part of
> <login>, so you could use
>
>     imap://;auth=KERBEROS_V4@minbari.org/
>
> to put the authentication method in the user field. The generic syntax
> for the IMAP URL scheme should be careful to document which things are
> URL-encoded, though. Right now, RFC 1730 says that a user name can
> either be an atom or a string, but the draft-newman-url-imap-02 says
> that the 'login' terminal follows 1738 syntax.

These are good comments.  I have submitted a new document, and placed
an htmlized version at:

<http://www.innosoft.com/www_root/doc/persons/chris/imapurl.html>

The major changes from version -02 are: (1) moving the ";AUTH=" as
suggested and (2) adding a section on relative IMAP URLs.

If I don't get any substantive complaints by the end of the IETF meeting,
I'll ask for this to move to proposed standard.