Re: IMAP URLs

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:58:49 PST

To: Chris.Newman@innosoft.com
Cc: uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: IMAP URLs
From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 17:58:49 PST

Chris,

There's not much time at the IETF URL-BOF to say much about the IMAP
URL scheme except to point out to people to read it. However, please
check out

	draft-fielding-url-syntax-00.txt

to see if the (revised) description of generic URL schemes clarifies
those things that were ambiguous from RFC 1738 & RFC 1808.

# I also believe there is a bug in RFC 1808 with respect to multiple
# parameters.  I think the relative URL should inherit all parameters form
# the base URL, except those that are specified in the relative URL.  The
# current spec indicates that if *any* parameter is present in the relative
# URL, it overrides all parameters in the base URL.  Comments?

The goal originally was to revise 1738 & 1808 to make them consistent
with current practice. What would current web browsers do with
relative URLs with multiple parameters?

Larry