IMAP URLs

Chris Newman (Chris.Newman@innosoft.com)
Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:33:03 -0800 (PST)

Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 15:33:03 -0800 (PST)
From: Chris Newman <Chris.Newman@innosoft.com>
Subject: IMAP URLs
To: URI list <uri@bunyip.com>

With the major web browser vendors all committed to supporting IMAP, it's
clear we really need an IMAP URL format.  I have written an internet
draft:

  <ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-newman-url-imap-02.txt>

with my preliminary proposal.  I'm not experienced in URL design so I
based it on RFC 1738 as much as I could.  I would very much appreciate
review by this community *before* it moves any further.

I know I need to add a section on relative URLs and swap the order of the
parameters and queries based on RFC 1808.

As far as I know, the IMAP URL scheme is the first to address the issue of
multiple strong authentication mechanisms.  I'd very much appreciate
comments on that topic.

I also believe there is a bug in RFC 1808 with respect to multiple
parameters.  I think the relative URL should inherit all parameters form
the base URL, except those that are specified in the relative URL.  The
current spec indicates that if *any* parameter is present in the relative
URL, it overrides all parameters in the base URL.  Comments?

Thanks in advance for your help!