Re: http charset labelling

Keld J|rn Simonsen (keld@dkuug.dk)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:48:23 +0100

From: keld@dkuug.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 1996 16:48:23 +0100
To: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>, dupuy@cs.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: http charset labelling
Cc: gtn@ebt.com, uri@bunyip.com

Masataka Ohta writes:

> Thank you Alex for the summary.
>
> > There have been a few proposals for dealing with code
> > mapping; I'm not totally convinced that they all of them will work well in
> > practice with existing browsers that are unaware of character codes.
>
> With browsers, URL can be labelled by any text or picture.
>
> So, code mapping proposal which is proven not to work on paper is,
> IMHO, almost useless. Maybe, URLs in e-mail are rare exceptions.

To me it means that the URL is hidden and can be anything so it
does not matter then if it is encoded in a special charset or not.
And as the likelihood of the html doc using URLs adressing
the same server as the one sending out the html doc is very big,
the problem of old servers and old clients using nonstandard
encodings should not be big.

keld