Re: http charset labelling

Masataka Ohta (mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp)
Wed, 14 Feb 96 18:25:32 JST

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: http charset labelling
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com (Larry Masinter)
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 96 18:25:32 JST
Cc: gtn@ebt.com, dupuy@cs.columbia.edu, uri@bunyip.com

> the Star and Globalview system
> allowed you to select files by their names rather than having to type
> them.

So are html browsers.

> Now that ordinary users are getting such systems on their PCs finally,
> the rest of the world might experience this convenience.

How can the Star and Globalview system allow me to select a file
name written on a paper?

> > In Japan, for these 10 years, UNIX file names with Japanese
> > Kanji has been widely available. But, it is not used at all.
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> For longer than 10 years, Xerox XNS servers have allowed file names
> with Kanji names. I think the problem was that the UNIX systems were
> missing several important features.

I wrote, *WIDELY AVAILABLE*.

XNS servers were never available widely.

> > One problem is that it is more difficult to type in the name in
> > Kanji than ASCII.
>
> It is difficult to type in the name in Kanji if you do not have a
> Japanese typing system; fortunately,

Of course, all the Kanji-capable systems have Japanese typing system,
even with which typing has been difficult.

> I think a global international naming system for data objects is
> possible and useful; I've used one. I miss it, actually.

URL with % is the one.

						Masataka Ohta