revised mailto spec

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Fri, 6 Dec 1996 09:16:47 PST

To: uri@bunyip.com, jwz@netscape.com
Subject: revised mailto spec
From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1996 09:16:47 PST

I want to propose recycling 'mailto' to "Proposed Standard" and
suggest extending it to include mail headers. Some browsers do (some
of) this anyway, and it's a generally needed functionality. We were
going to make it 'mailserver' for a while, which flopped because
there's really no need for another URL scheme.

 ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/masinter/draft-hoffman-url-mailto.txt

It's looking more and more like there SHOULD be a URL working group
(re)constituted, but we'll need a chair, a charter, milestones, etc.

Also, volunteer to take minutes at our (very short, 30 minute) BOF.

Larry