Re: mailserver: vs. expanded mailto: URL

Al Gilman (asg@severn.wash.inmet.com)
Fri, 24 Nov 1995 01:03:29 -0500 (EST)

From: asg@severn.wash.inmet.com (Al Gilman)
Subject: Re: mailserver: vs. expanded mailto: URL
To: Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 01:03:29 -0500 (EST)
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

To follow up on what Harald.T.Alvestrand@uninett.no said ...

  Note that any system which sends mail without a manual check first
  is, IMHO, dangerous.
  So I certainly hope implementors of both mailto: and mailserver: URLs
  do this stuff carefully....

  The discussion has at least proved (to me) that it would be a Good Thing
  to have someone <volunteers queue to the left, please..> write up some
  guidelines for how mailto: should be implemented.

Most of what you have to worry about is mail-client-generic and
should be handled by a reference by title to whatever the mail
security group tells us.

One URL-specific function that I don't want to forget is that the
current context URL -- the equivalent of the "Referrer:" header in
HTTP -- should be automatically affixed to the sent mail by the
client as perhaps a "Referrer:" or the weaker "References:"
header.

And I would be glad to do what I can to help with this.

Al