Re: URN fodder...

Mitra (mitra@path.net)
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 14:26:51 -0800

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 14:26:51 -0800
To: Michael.Mealling@oit.gatech.edu (Michael Mealling)
From: mitra@path.net (Mitra)
Subject: Re: URN fodder...
Cc: pierre@indirect.com, uri@bunyip.com

At 1:08 PM 3/28/95, Michael Mealling wrote:
>Mitra said this:
>> At 3:15 PM 3/27/95, Pierre Landau wrote:
>> >3) Using the hierarchical DNS scheme for registering publishers works well
>> >with departments at universities, but perhaps less well with a
>>publisher like
>> >joe@orion.tucson.az.us.   Perhaps the Library of Congress or a similar
>> >entity is a more appropriate "authority" to register publishers with.
>>
>> Under my scheme it works fine, orion.tucson.az.us registers
>> joe.orion.tucson.az.us, I've no idea how it would work under any of the
>> currently proposed schemes.
>
>You get this also by using OIDs. For example, 1.3.6.4.636 is our pointer
>into the OID space. (I just found this out by enterprize numbers (aka the
>old URN method are actual pointers to OID space starting with 1.3.6.4).
>Since I (gatech) own 636 I can allocate below that willy nilly.
>I could create 1.3.6.4.636.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1 if I wanted
>to.
>
>It also does not suffer any of the legal problems being discussed on the
>IETF list since a) they have zero semantic meaning b) they are 'owned' by
>a recongnized international standards body.....

Unfortunately Enterprise numbers are not a scalable address space, unless
IANA want to be registering several million enterprises.

- Mitra

Mitra                                                    mitra@path.net
Internet Consulting                                       (415)488-0944
<http://www.path.net/mitra>                           fax (415)488-0988