Re: Whither URI: Revising the charter, disband URI?

Peter Deutsch (peterd@bunyip.com)
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 14:34:42 -0400

From: Peter Deutsch <peterd@bunyip.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 1995 14:34:42 -0400
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: Whither URI: Revising the charter, disband URI?

[ Larry Masinter wrote: ]
.  .  .
} The URI WG cannot continue with a charter without milestones and
} realistic dates for those milestones. Those who would like to continue
} this as a forum to discuss architecture of UR* need also to focus that
} discussion on making progress toward items that exist in our charter.
.  .  .
} I think the URI charter should contain a reasonable end-point for the
} working group, i.e., the conditions under which we will disband, our
} work completed, other work to be taken up by other working groups.

I'd like to point out to the group that the current
charter actually does contain a mandate to work on
additional components, although there are currently no
specified goals/milestones in these areas. I suspect we
don't need a major charter rewrite, just agreement on the
next steps we want to undertake.

Of course, if this is all too painful to think about, we
can shut things down, but I suspect the overhead of
creating a new group would be a lot higher than continuing
the work here and IMHO there's still work to be done.

					- peterd

  ...there is reason to hope that the machines will use us kindly, for
  their existance will be in a great measure dependent on ours; they will
  rule us with a rod of iron, but they will not eat us...

                                               - Samuel Butler, 1872