Re: whither URI

From: Leslie Daigle <leslie@beethoven.bunyip.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 95 10:26:55 -0400
To: moore@cs.utk.edu, uri@bunyip.com

[From Keith Moore's message:]

> > I don't really see how resource identifier architecture (URIs) and the
> resource content descriptors (metadata) can be addressed in isolation.

> By defining the means by which, given a URI, a metadata-server can
> be located, and NOT (at least right now) defining the protocol
> by which such resolutions are performed.

I agree with the latter point.

What I'm getting at is that, if the URI end of things focusses on
developing "the ultimate address scheme", and  the metadata group focusses
on "the ultimate representation of a data object", we may wind up with
two systems that are individually good, but that don't support each other
properly in order to provide resource location and discovery.

Cheers!
Leslie.

"Life is a Usability Test"                             Leslie Daigle
                                                       leslie@bunyip.com
           -- ThinkingCat                              Montreal, Canada